General Opt-Out FAQs
NOPEC is required by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) to give our members the chance to "opt-out" of NOPEC's electric aggregation every three years and natural gas aggregation every two years. In other words, you can choose to leave NOPEC and select another electric supplier or return to the Price to Compare or Standard Choice Offer from your local utility. If you would like to continue to be served by NOPEC, there is no action required from you. You don't have to fill out or return anything.
There are several reasons why some customers may not have received an opt-out notice:
- Customers may be under contract with another supplier and are not eligible.
- Customers may have been inadvertently excluded from the database acquired from the utility.
- Customers may have been excluded due to having an ineligible rate code on their account.
- Customers may have previously signed notice from the utility that prohibits them from releasing a customer's information to independent suppliers.
- Customers also may be ineligible because they are on Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP) or are not currently in a payment plan with the utility.
Customers who did not receive a notice and want to join the program should call NOPEC's Customer Care Center at 855.667.3201 (855-NOPEC01).
NOPEC is a not-for-profit entity. We give all of our customers an opportunity to opt-out of NOPEC, but we don't pay the postage to opt-out of our program.
Unfortunately, we need a signature of the person who is electing to opt-out. That's why the opt-out form has to be returned by mail or faxed to 440.774.4422.
If you choose to opt-out, you can select another natural gas or electricity supplier or default back to the utility for your energy supply.
If you do not want to participate in NOPEC's natural gas or electric program, sign, date and return the opt-out form included in your enrollment letter by mail or fax to 440.774.4422.
By law if the customer opted out previously, but did not choose an alternative supplier and remained with the utility, they are required to opt-out again.
All consumers who do not opt-out are enrolled for a period of up to two years for natural gas and three years for electricity, after which they can be given another opportunity to opt-out. For more information, contact NOPEC's Customer Care Center at 855.667.3201 (855-NOPEC01).
You can file with the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) to be on the "Do Not Aggregate" list.