Outdoor fun in Ohio!
By Kelly on June 28, 2018
Hiking and biking and camping-oh my! The summer is heating up and it's time to enjoy all of the outdoor activities that Ohio has to offer! Since the weather only cooperates with us for a few months in this region, there isn't a better time to get out and be one with nature. Embrace the season and enjoy all of the hiking trails, camping sites, and outdoor spots Ohio beautifully showcases during this time of year! Here are some of the best spots to fulfill your outdoors-y desires, plus some tips on where to go and what to bring to ensure that you have an optimal summer experience.
- Hocking Hills State Park- The caves, waterfalls and beautiful scenery make this park a go-to spot for activities in Ohio! Take a day trip to visit hiking trails, enjoy canoeing, zip-lining and festivals, or take a mini-vacation and enjoy more time in the park by staying on campgrounds or in cabins for the weekend!
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park- A local park that has something for everyone! The park rangers provide programs specifically for kids, so adults can enjoy some other activities. There are trails, kayaking on the river, visitor centers, camping grounds and music and art festivals this summer!
- Kool Lakes Family Camp Grounds- Enjoy hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking and other outdoor adventures! Not only does the campground provide access to outdoor fun, it's located in Garrettsville, close to some local entertainment such as wine tours, golf courses, fine dining and museums.
- Lake Erie Bluffs- Camping, biking, bird watching, boating and fishing make this location a favorite in Lake County. Enjoy beach scenery as well as dense woods to explore, and if you're feeling adventurous, a 50 ft. coastal observation tower!
- Black River Reservation- Located in Kirtland, this is the one of the most popular parks in the Lorain County Metro Park System. Enjoy a variety of outdoor activities as well as three picnic locations. The trail is paved and follows the Black River all the way from Elyria to Lorain!
With all of these hiking and biking locations added to your bucket list this summer, there are a few things you might need to bring with you on your ventures! Here is a list of things you might want to bring with you to have the best experience on your outdoor activity of choice:
- Water Bottle
- Change of socks
- Sunscreen/ Bug Spray
- Comfortable, closed-toe shoes
- Comfortable/ protective clothing
- Hiking Maps