Energy Efficient Laundry Tips
By Mary Ripley on May 31, 2017
By making small changes to your typical laundry routine, you can reduce your energy usage and save time. Here are a few tips to try next time you're washing and drying your clothes.
- Make sure you load your washing machine to capacity when doing laundry. One large load of laundry uses less energy than two medium sized loads!
- Clean the lint screen in your dryer after each use. If it’s clogged it will negatively affect the performance of your dryer, and create a fire hazard.
- Hang your clothes outside for a free and natural drying solution.
- Look for ENERGY STAR labeled washers and dryers. They typically use 35% less water and 20% less energy than standard models.
- Sort similar fabrics together when doing laundry. Mixing heavier fabrics with lighter ones slows down on drying time.
- Use dryer balls to help circulate air and dry clothes faster.